Friday, February 18, 2005

Are iPods Obese?

Seriously, how many MBs of MP3s have you listened to at a stretch? For that matter how much mp3 would be enough? I personally have collected almost 80GB of mp3 music. I listen to music whenever I don't need my ear for any other purpose! The collection is largely due to the generosity of many friends. But, after about two years of the frenzy for collecting music I have realized that I have listened to not more than, say, 700 MB of mp3 music. Now, that is the amount that would fit on a normal CD-r available for Rs. 10 in India. What I just cannot understand is the need to 'carry' around 40GB of music. Sure, the device looks cool, cute or whatever you want to call it. I would really like to run a survey on how much each iPod owner puts into his cool device.
On the other hand the new and trendy flash players are just not enough and the price of these things do not justify their use. I believe the iPod is most popular among the younger generation. Kids going to school, University etc... Here is my idea...Every student has an account on the school server for e-mail and other purposes. It is very common for e-mail folders to be 1GB or larger these days. I store all my mp3s on the server. I create my own play lists depending on my interests. I have a small handheld device that can communicate via a wireless link to the server that streams my music. All I need is a small buffer on the device. Alternatively, this service could be provided by cell phone operators as they already have a large coverage area. This leads to lots of interesting possibilities
  1. Group music sites bringing together people with common interests.
  2. A personal radio station!
  3. Warnings about any emergencies through the streaming server. I would miss it if I were listening thro my iPod
  4. Revenue opportunity thro ads between songs
I think iPods are obese. Its like the old times (i mean really old) when people saved money in pots.
Think about it.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home